Re: [RC] Excitement affecting horse's heart rate - rides2far

I was reading about Vet checks and I've been told what people refer
to as "tricks" to getting their horses pulse down. For example sponging
them,

What's a "trick" about that? The horse's core temperature rises when he
is exercising. When he stops his heart pumps blood to the surface to cool
it off, then that blood goes back in and cools the core. If it's a hot
day the air on the surface doesn't cool much, but by sponging water on
the surface you cool that blood which returns to the inside. No more of a
trick than you fanning yourself on a hot day.

not letting them stick their head up in their air, make sure
they> don't see their buddy walking off, etc. Doesn't your horses heart

rate> come down because he's in shape?

I imagine that if a marathon runner looks up in their rear view mirror
and sees  blue lights their pulse probably goes up...doesn't mean they're
not in shape. A basketball player may have a racing pulse just before the
tip off, doesn't mean he's overexerting standing there, but that pulse is
the only way we judge whether they're recovered and there's no way for
the vet to know the difference in a horse whose pulse is 72 because he's
still recovering from the trail or the one whose pulse just jumped from
52 to 72 because his best buddy just walked away and abandoned him.

Are these things necessary?

Maybe not if you're in no hurry. You can just stand there till your horse
calms down or cools off on his own. If you like to lose time, more power
to ya.

I know
that> whether your horse is comfortable will effect his heart rate,
hence
why> you might sponge him off or dump water on him. My question is
whether> (assuming your horse is in shape and can handle the pace
you've set)
outside sources (that might excite your horse) are going to effect
you> horse enough that he won't pulse down to the required rate despite

the> horses ability to handle the ride

It shouldn't so much affect *whether* he pulses down as *when*. If your
competition gets out 2 minutes ahead of you they're gone. If you can
pulse down really fast in a vet check, that's speed you *didn't* need on
the trail so you can go slower. :-)  One thing you're forgetting about
sponging. I sometimes keep sponging after my horse is down because I like
to remove all the crud, up between his hind legs, all around the girth
area, anything that might irritate his skin as the ride progresses. The
best time to remove it is before it hardens and while he's kinda hot. I
don't like to bother him once I'm back from the vet so unless I'm racing
and if it's pretty warm I do the full clean up (though fast).

My horse Kaboot always pulsed down slowest at the first check because he
was feeling racey and wanting to go. His pulses improved the farther he
went, because he chilled out. The physical exertion was fairly constant,
the temperature of the day probably went up, but his excitement level
went down thus faster recoveries.

Angie