[RC] Morton's Neuroma? - Tim & Carla Brady

I did the Lone Star AERC ride (LD) last weekend near Bandera, TX.  At about 20 miles of mostly trotting my left foot was just excruciatingly painful.  It's in the ball of my foot and it hurts and stings and burns.  I am using some wide endurance stirrups with pads and ride in Ariat Terrains.  My husband said "Morton's Neuroma, honey" and I said "no way", but I did some internet research and the symptoms for that are identical to what I am experiencing.  It's from repetitive pressure to the ball of the foot and something that runners get.

I have a friend who does have this diagnosis (from a doctor and not just her hubby) and has been through about a year of intense pain, surgery, and even worse, and is still riding.  Up to this point, I really didn't realize that what I've been feeling is what she's been dealing with.

She said she might start riding in caged stirrups and running shoes.  For both of us....giving up riding isn't going to happen!

I hope to move up to 50's eventually if I can with this problem.  I know that should be everyone's goal, right, to move up to 50's??  :-)

For those of you that have this and deal with it, what do you do?  What kind of riding shoes/boots and stirrups do you use?

Thanks!
Carla