[RC] Stifle Issues - Roger Rittenhouse

RE
Amy Whelan:
> > My friend who boards her horse with me, is having stifle locking problems and the vet suggests clipping the tendons....has anyone had this done on a horse that they compete? I have one that does it occasionally but I never had surgery, hers seems more frequent.<<

My horse has very straight locking stifles from poor conformation.
Vet guidance was cutting the ligament would all but limit his use in endurance.
We did the internal blister as others have suggested.

He had it done 3 times over many years. The reason we did it more then once was due to the 'damaged blistered' ligament healing itself.
With the scar tissue formed by the internal blister of iodine and micro cutting, the ligament would get short and tight thus hold the ligament from popping over the 'knee cap' (Trochanaer Ridge sp) and lock the stifle. The stifle would not lock for about a year. Of course this issue is really only critical on the DOWNHILLS.

He went very sound and easy for about a year. I have it done every Feb or so. When I decided we both had enough of the sport. I no longer do it. He goes just fine around here on pleasure rides. Even did an easy LD this year with no problems.
I also recommend a shoeing protocol of very short rear toes and even slight square toes. Long toes make the problem worse since the bad confirmation of the stifle does not provide the correct break over angle. Most of these type of horses will stick the toe in the ground going downhill or swing from side to side to get down the hill.

I do not believe it was a bad thing to do for him - sure allowed him to go downhill with no problems. I saw no negative issues with the procedure.

--
Roger Rittenhouse
6361 Old Natchez Trace