Re: [RC] Off topic - Lysane Cree

Aaahh, compression fractures. Been there, done that. lol  With the endurance folks on ridecamp, I'm sure others are out there as well :)
Mine was in the thoracic area - I was kept from riding for 6 months, but once the brace came off I was so stiff and sore, I did physical therapy with a sports therapist/osteopath for another 6 months. Initially, I did get back spasms, even though I was also fit and in good shape before the injury. And even as I got better, it took along time before I stopped feeling something pull in my back (where the fractures were) when I would lift something heavy.
I would say it took almost a year from the time I got hurt before I felt like myself again. When I started back riding, I started with short easy rides because I find that nothing else works those riding muscles quite like riding. Seriously, it's hard to do exercises on the ground that target all the muscle groups that riding does all at once. When I would overdo things, I would get muscle spasms in my back.
I find it surprising though that even after physio, you would still be sore enough to not ride. Unless it is just that you pushed yourself to get back into your regular routine too quickly. Maybe it makes a difference that the fracture is in a different location, but riding is now one of the times my back doesn't hurt, my back feels good when I am riding. Standing still in one spot is the killer for me, it starts to ache where the fractures were.
Have you considered chiropractic work or working with an osteopath? Also I knew nothing about yoga or pilates before, but they are also good at working your core muscles including your back. The doctor also told me jogging was not so good (I used to run alot before to stay in shape) and that I should avoid it. He said walking fast would have the same benefit and less pounding. And maybe start back riding with "baby rides" - like I said, it was a gradual process for me over the course of about a year before I stopped feeling sore or overtired or getting muscle spasms in my back.

Lysane

Cindy Rodd <crodd22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had sustained an injury
similar to what I went through, and how their recovery, mainly how their
riding went afterwards.
Six months ago I came off of a young horse, and suffered a compression
fracture to my L2. I was told no riding for 3 months, which I adhered to,
and wore a brace, etc....
At the end of 3 months I started riding on a fairly regular basis again, but
quite painfully. It grew worse and worse, until I threw in the towel again
for one month. I finally got back on again a few days ago, and it
reaggravated all of my symptoms that had gone away. Painful tired back,
spasms, etc. I have done physical therapy, massages.....heating pad, too
much Advil, which I think is not really good for you. Also, I am fairly
fit, so I don't think it's lack of muscle tone or anything like that.
Oddly, I can work out, it's just riding that sends me over the edge. I'd
rather give up working out and be able to ride.
Any thoughts, or anyone with a similar injury?
Thanks!
Cindy

View Athlete?s Collections with Live Search
http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01