[RC] 100 mile prospects.. - Spottedracer

I'll preface this by mentioning that I will be trying my first 'true' 100 in 2007.... But have done several 50's...(I'm a wimp and prefer to enter back-to-back 50's and play it safe...)

What I did, was a multi-day on two different '50miler' mounts..... the next days - I asked one of the head ride vets to 'inspect' BOH of my mounts (who had both completed their 50's successfully)... And asked him which one he would recommend to ride a second 50 on that day (IF I was going to do another 50 - This would be a 2-day 100 for that particular horse..)

The vet inspected BOTH mounts - and chose one over the other. Since he was as unbiased about the horses as you can get - and the BEST judge as to WHICH 50miler was suitable to continue for a 100... I feel that's the best way to truly know/decide if a horse is suitable.

So find a horse that is very suitable/capable of a strong 50 - and who will be strong and ready the next morning for another 50.... Otis the vet has told me several times that he has seen better results from horses started in 50's - then taken to 2-day 100's - then taken to 1-day 100's..... I'm taking his advice..
- LP