RE: [RC] Humor me.... - David LeBlanc

Chelsea said:

Gee, you guys make Endurance riding sound like SO much fun!

I hope you know I'm just kidding. Best things in life take work!

Those days tend to be rare, and are balanced out by things like being on top
of a ridge at sunrise, seeing the sun come up over the mountains behind you,
2-3 volcanos in front of you, along with a snow covered piece of the
Cascades. Or cantering down perfect trails through a grove of old growth
Redwoods. Or riding completely around the rim of a caldera of a volcano at
somewhere around 6000 ft. Or central Washington with all sorts of twisty
windy short ridges, and imagining what it would be like to be a bandit or a
posse trying to hide or catch someone - the terrain is just like in the old
Westerns. Sometimes, cantering through the sagebrush with a perfect blue sky
at about 50-60 degrees is just perfection.

And there's the time a friend and I got to the top of a pass and realized we
had a _lot_ of horse left since we'd been riding smart, and took off, riding
side-by-side, passing people left and right with grins a mile wide, and then
coming into the vet check with 6 people in tow, and being the first to pulse
down by minutes. Started dead last, walked out of camp on a loose rein, and
finished top-10.

Everywhere I go in the US (and I think I've only missed 4 or 5 of the lower
48), I always think about what it would be like to do an endurance ride
there.

Those sorts of things make up for stuff like a 14 1/2 hour ride time 75
where it only quit raining when we went above the clouds. Even that had some
interesting experiences - trotting down a road at a fast trot in the dark
with heavy cloud cover and no moon - I couldn't see a thing.

The next to last ride I did was the hardest 50 mile (actually 55) ride I've
ever seen. Huge amounts of elevation change. The last 13 miles were the
hardest. I took just under 11 hours to complete, and with vet checks, I was
out for over 12 1/2 hours. It was one long, hard, tough day. The finish was
about a mile or so from camp, and walking in down a road by ourselves,
watching the stars come out and the moon come up over a mountain, having
just hit the 2000 mile mark for me and my horse - that was something
special.

Some of the rides I'm proudest of were the rides where I overcame a serious
obstacle, and finished anyway. Maybe last, but I completed.