Re: [RC] [RC] opening gates? - frank solano

On 11/29/06, Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/OM <Kate.Kearby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I had a horse that wouldn't open a gate and stand there nice and hold it for a dozen horses if need be  WHILE I'M MOUNTED, I'd be doing some serious training before I left home or finding another horse!

I welcome getting off my horse at gates.
It gives me a moment to stretch my legs.
It gives me an opportunity to do a quick tack-check and adjust anything if need be.
It gives the horse a break in the routine.
I can take a look at the other riders in my group and their horses and offer a smile or a "how ya' doin".

Getting a gate AND having the opportunity to take care of myself and my horse isn't, for me, a measure of the horse and his training, but a measure of the "moment" in the day...a day of things MUCH more challenging than sitting in the saddle and opening a gate.

Frank
8422