[RC] Malaysia ... - John Teeter

Bunches of photo's at:

 http://www.endurance.net/international/2006terengganu/gallery/index.html

as usual (for me:) -- way to many - but winter is coming - take a break:)

It's hot here today - wait a minute - it's hot here EVERY day! a most
remarkable 4 days of endurance have occurred. It rained so hard that one time
when steph came in (to the 2nd hold at @4:30am) her half chaps were down around
her ankels (having filled with water from a recent downpour:) and her sturup
leathers had streatched 2" (so she was on her toes:)

fixed both problems and she happily went back out to watch the dawn.

One interesting note (there are many many more:) was that the crewing areas
were the most pleasant places I have EVER been immersed in during a ride. The
people here (in Malaysia:) are happy - or at least they certainly seem that way
under all of the stressful situations I've seen them in during the past 4 days.
The organizing committee members were really under the spotlight and it never
even seemed to phase them. Always time during the night for a pleasant hello.
It was really very special.

This traveling with Steph can be addictive....certainly hope the dogs are ok at
home....

jt

(p.s it will be very interesting to see what happens with the 2008 WEC venue
decision. I looks like Malaysia has jumped through all the hoops - very good
completion rate (better than the recent AERC NC for example:) competitive
running times and horses that, while tired, were not in danger throughout the
day. MOST of that can be laid on the quality of the riders that participated
here. These were not, by any means, a collection of  horses that were peaked
for this event. Many were doing their first try at their given distances, and
it is to the credit of the riders that they were managed well throughout the
day. There will be a bunch more to come on this topic I'm sure, but as a
base-line, this was certainly an intense and focused stepping stone to WEC
2008....)

(pps. did I mention it's hot today??:)