[RC] Pilot Error - k s swigart

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X22192&key=1

This is the NTSB report of the helicopter accident I got to be a part of
when I was airlifted out after my horse accident at the Grand Canyon
ride in October 2000.  If one reads the full narrative, it is noted that
though the actual altitude at the take off site was ~7500 ft, because of
the weather conditions it was as if the altitute was 8,850 feet.  And it
is also entertaining to note that the helicopter became too heavy only
after they put ME on it (my vet was kind enough to point this out and
make a joke about it when I told him of the outcome of the final
report:)).

To quote the final report's probable cause:

The National Transportation Safety Board determines
the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's in-flight loss of control during liftoff DUE TO HIS
IMPROPER PLANNING AND DECISIONS. Related factors
were the high density altitude and helicopter weight condition, and
the lack of a suitable takeoff area. (emphasis mine).

So, despite the fact that pilots obviously cannot control the weather,
nor did the pilot have any control over my weight, the cause of the
accident was still deemed to be pilot error.  Helicopter pilots are
expected to check the weather conditions and determine in advance
whether the equipment they have brought along is suitable for what they
are planning to ask of it.  The cause of the accident was not put down
to "bad luck" but pilot error.

And last week Tracey Lomax said about the SA jumper rider at the WEG:

He was clear in the first round until three fences from the end
when his rein broke and he had the last three fences down.

Meaning no disrepsect to the total stranger who is this rider; however,
this incident would (I am pretty damned sure) also come under the
heading of "pilot error."  Reins do not just break on jumper courses
through bad luck, they break because somebody didn't check in advance to
make sure that the equipment being used was suitable for the task being
asked of it.*

I actually consider not checking your tack in advance to be a pretty
novice mistake; however, this does not mean that I have not been guilty
of the same thing myself...TWICE.  At the Descanso RAT in 2004, about 10
miles into the ride the stitching on my stirrup leather gave way (the
way stitching on stirrup leathers has a tendency to do when it gets
worn, especially at an event like a ride & tie where you are using the
stirrups all the time for mounting multiple times during the course of
the event).  We lost about 15-20 minutes while I gerry-rigged (with a
leather punch and some string that I was prepared enough to have brought
along) some new stitching and continued on our way--probably cost us
best condition (from loss of time points).  A little over a year later
(at the Manzanita RAT in 2005), the exact same thing happened again,
this time a scant 300 yards from the finish.  This time, there was no
point in fixing it to go less than 1/4 of a mile; but this time, it cost
us first place to the people we were running neck and neck with for the
last 5 miles.

Yes, equipment failures can happen to anybody; but almost invariably
they happen to people who are making dumb mistakes.

There are extremely few things that can be attributed to "circumstances
entirely beyond my control," and the NTSB understands this well enough
to blame the pilot for an accident arguably caused by the prevailing
weather conditions.

He should have brought a better helicopter (which is what the helicopter
pilot who DID get me to the hospital did), he should have left off
either the paramedic or the flight nurse (or some other heavy thing/s);
or he should have chosen a place to land (and therefore take off) where
there were fewer trees in the way of him recovering (although this
probably would not have been my first choice, since then we might have
run into problems further into the flight...like actually OVER the Grand
Canyon with much more than 80 to 100 feet to fall :))

kat
Orange County, Calif.