[RC] Trailering alone - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

>...I am trying to decide if investing in a used living quarters trailer is going to be >worth the cost. I am looking at two options a nice little two horse trailer, ($8000, a >decent used SUV, $7000 and a tent & nice air mattress $100), or buying a truck(which is >pretty expensive), and a living quarters trailer.(used I can find for $17000 for the >basics) The advantages of course are heat and water.

A long time back when I was a starving student scraping to get by, I "splurged" and bought myself a new 16' stock trailer for about $4200.  I had a carpenter enclose the front 8' with solid walls, replace the front door with a locking RV door and put in two RV-type slider windows on the sides.

I had him put down linoleum and build a platform that held a futon mattress on top (the air mattresses were forever springing leaks) and had space underneath for some supplies, a duffel bag of clothing, a PVC water tank and (oh, the decadence), my very own porta-potty.  He also built in a little shelf for my Coleman stove, a tiny cabinet, and an overhead hook for my lantern.  Compared to the horse-trailer camping and tent camping I'd been doing up until then, it was the very height of comfort and luxury.  I had a little propane space heater and so was warm, dry, out of the wind, had a little privacy and a comfy place to sleep.  After riding, I heated up some water on the stove and sponge-bathed out of a bucket---not ideal, but sure still beat the stuffing out of no bath at all.  I think the "conversion" cost less than $800, and the stove and stuff another $200 if I hadn’t already owned it.  It pulled just fine and had plenty of room for a horse or two in back.

Was it as comfy as the LQ trailer that replaced it, heck no.  Was it a lot more economical and still very niftily supplied the basics requirements of comfort for an endurance weekend, sure did.

Just an alternative for you.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM