Re: [RC] to blanket or not - Sisu West Ranch

"...Never had the sickness, colds, or illnesses related to wet thick coats..."

With no clipping, no stabling, no blanketing, and just a cool down walk we have also never in 30 years had sickness, colds, or illnesses related to winter weather.   (or more likely muscle cramps)

Contrary to what my Mom preached, colds are caused by viruses not wet feet etc.  As a kid I got them by being confined in a class room with 30 other snotty nozed kids, sharing crayons etc., not by playing outside with wet feet.

Most horses I have known that get respiratory illensses in the winter have been carefully, "protected" by being in a heated stable with 40 other horses and thus exposed to all the viruses and ammonia fumes from the horse urine.

Also note that we blanket during cold nights (water bucket icing weather) at rides where they can not move around.  We also blanket on cool days during vet checks.  This is to prevent cramps.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875