[RC] Shortbed trucks - tichenor06

I have a short bed.  I know MANY others that also have them.  Truck beds are like horse backs.  Shorter is stronger.  With any trailer bumper or goose with any truck long or short or flat, you have to learn and know what you can and can not do with regards to turning.  Go out in a pasture or parking lot and drive it around so you know what you can do and what you can not do.

I have owned/hauled bp, goose 22', 18', shortbed, dually long bed, long bed.  I like the short bed hands down with the gooseneck.  Also you have to take into consideration the nose/box configuration of your trailer.  I had an exiss 22' and the box was really really close between the bumper and the box. I have a sooner now, and there is more room.  The combo I have now is easier to back, park, turn, and turn sharper corners better.

What you have under the hood, brakes, and suspension (also your driving habits) will determine whether you can haul safely a larger (any) trailer.  I currently have a HD Chev short bed, 2500, 4 x 4, 8.1L, auto, 5sp, with the allison.  It hands down out hauls the chev 7.3, 3500, HD, long bed dually, 4x4 that I used to have.  Only disadvantage is that the dually can hold in its bed, more stuff due to it being larger, and with the dually's.  But a trailer doesn't have much weight in the bed or on the bumper.  Dually's can offer more stability for a really heavy trailer.  But it isn't going to have any more power or be more superior strengthwis because it is a long bed.  Just means to me there is more to hassle with due to length when hauling, turning, backing etc.  My truck trailer combo turns really well when I back, and doesn't cut corners as bad.  I prefer goose than bumper.  And jmo slant I think is far far safer than straights.  I think they also pull and tow better, and give the horse a better ride.

Tow safely

Laura T
Alabama