Re: [RC] Arabic [Egyptian] horse names - Maryanne Gabbani

The reason your Egyptian friend pronounced it with a "b" is because there is no "p" in Arabic and that is his/her native language. Native Arabic speakers usually pronounce p's as b's and vice versa because they actually don't hear the difference. My kids used to drive their father totally nuts by making him use the word "backpack".? Bad children with a good understanding of languages. LOL

Ancient Egyptian did have a "p".

Maryanne