Re: [RC] [RC] Automatic Penalty - Sisu West Ranch

"...
If a rider felt that their mount was unfit to continue, they'd still have to present to the vet and state (something to the effect of ) "I believe my mount is unfit to continue because of ........................." and the vet would then either verify the riders feelings or assuage the concern. ..."

It is my experience that most good riders do exactly this now.  Good endurance vets encourage this behavior.  As I have gained experience over the years, in a vast majority of my pulls I have told the vet that I was pulling.  I have even seen a rider tell the vet she thought her horse was a little off on the RF.  In this case the vet convinced her that the horse was fine.  I met her a few miles after the check, leading the now grade 4 horse back to the check.  Even vets aren't perfect.

I just don't see this happening under the conditions of a WEC.  There is just to much riding on completing.  It is a human tendency to ignore danger signs when an extremely important goal is in sight.  I don't think this will ever change.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875