Re: [RC] [RC] Automatic Penalty - SandyDSA

Aside from the situation where a horse does not pulse down readily or as required, or is limping and won't shake it off, I should think it a momentary waste of the precious vet time to examine every RO pull; but I do agree that at some point (and as near to the actual pull as possible) that htey be looked at. We have in the past ALWAYS had our horses examined by a vet when we pulled just to be sure there is nothing other than a surface issue. A horse who is head-bobbing lame can probably stand a little look-over - and a horse who is heaving for 30 minutes or is in a state of metabolic distress or something - that should be a look-now situation.

I do agree strongly with Kat's platform - it is reasonable and actually should be expected that a "world class rider" be MORE capable of monitoring the horse's condition; that rider SHOULD be held to a higher standard, because world class RIDES are a higher standard. The higher the level of competition, it is only reasonable to demand and require a lower level of blaming...something or someone other than the rider. Truly, the horse is a dependent creature under saddle, and in our care. We like to think them so very bright, but they CAN'T be too smart or else they wouldn't let us RIDE them:). They depend on us to be square with them - and indeed, some people don't ride stallions, because, as they say, stallions don't take care of themselves as well. Probably true - but in relation to how a thinking PERSON can and should take care of him or herself AND the horse, it is wise to assume that NO horse can truly "take care if him or herself" and so it is in the hands of the rider, like it or not.

Some horses and riders can and do go fast and due to diligent care and training and wise choices, seems to stay sound year after year. Others seem to be constantly in the recovery ward for one reason or another. The difference has to be rider-related - conditioning, training (which, BTW are two VERY different things), care, speed, level of fitness, rider experience (there's that word again!), nutrition, age...the list goes on - but ALL of these are in the rider's hands, including the innate physical abilities of the horse. Some horses are simply NOT cut out for the sport, no matter WHAT the bloodlines or sire and dam demonstrate. My precious old mare who I lost in 2005 was a diminutive 143. :) - classically bred and built, often beating Quarter horses in open competition against Q horse judges; clean over 4' fences with a 3' spread! But...she HATED jumping and she got REALLY bored in the show ring, so after her Region Top 5 at age 16:), she turned her pretty head to the trail. She was very GOOD over fences, but a tough ride because she was not cut out for it mentally. Some horses are just NOT cut out for endurance for one reason or another. Yet I see people continue to ride cliff hangers, side swipers, racers and back seat drivers (like my 20 year old girl) and wonder why they are always on the edge of being a train wreck most of the time. Isn't this supposed to be FUN?:)

Of course, the flip side is that just because a horse was "successful with another rider at the international level does NOT mean that horse can do it with someone else - and that has been consistently demonstrated over the years in many disciplines. So,...again, the outcome is on many levels determined by the rider, not the vet, not the horse, not the chef:), not the breeder.

My beautiful, well bred, endurance bred mare who HAS done some LD and 50s - SHOULD be a superb competitor - but is a bit of a...well, a pant waist! So...hmmm she will need to consider endurance as a second activity I think, despite all the factors that SHOULD make her a top contender. In the wrong hands she could easily be ruined - and I do have some thoughts that she will grow up and out of the sissy lala deal - since her close relative did. But fortunately for HER, I don't feel that there is no life outside of endurance, and when I kick the can, I don't want to be remembered for a win or a championship or a belt buckle - better to be remembered for holding those old heads while they passed over Rainbow Bridge; for clearing the nostrils of newborns foals, for partnering over fence, trails and miles - but mainly for knowing what was best for my partner, the horse, and DOING it, without blaming someone else. Frankly, a "win" on horseback does not qualify for a life changing, historic event, certainly not when it costs a horse his health, heart or future.

Behind you Kat