[RC] bute for 6 mos? - Karla Watson

Can an equine be on a low dosage of bute for 6 months and still have a stomach lining after that? I have a mini donkey that had a bad accident and broke his hip. He has to be on bute 1x for 6 months. I was wondering if there was an alternative, more natural anti-inflamatory substance that I could switch him to? Any good suggestions? I was going to ask my donkey group but you guys know more about medicine. Endurance people are so knowledgable!
--------Karla Watson/Oregon