[RC] [RC] Question for you with turtle awards - how fast do youtrot? - Dream Weaver

My endurance prospect trots
slow and I'm picturing us
out on the trail forever. So, some questions for you
guys to see if I should be concerned or accept him the
way he is. : - ) He prefers to trot about 7 - 7.5 mph
and it feels like snails could pass us!

Hi Kristi -- that is a perfect speed!  Especially for a first year horse.  I let mine do a season or two at that speed of trot, then increase it by a mile or two per hour, the goal always being to keep them at or under 10 mph.  I found that if you do that, they stay sound and can do a lot of miles with little impact on them as far as wear and tear goes.  Tulip has 18,000 miles now and has a little jog trot that isn't even quite that fast (but that horse CAN trot at 12 to 14 mph quite easily, he just doesn't get to very often).   Chief has done a lot of miles that way too, though there have been times now that I let him go faster, maybe in the 9 mph range and an occasional 12 or 13 for short distances,  He goes pretty good (reliable!) staying consistent and taking it easy -- when I do go faster with him now it's not because we are actually moving out faster, but that we are spending less time walking and he's learned to grab his bites of food and keep moving rather than setting up for a pic-nic every time there is a green spot!  The only real problem with keeping your horses speed toned down is it's hard to ride with others.  Karen in NV