Re: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006 - Truman Prevatt

In any sport one is more likely to get injured when they are tired than when they are fresh. An athlete is more likely to get injured late in the season than early in the season. They are more likely to get hurt late in a game rather than early in a game. Pulled muscles happen more frequently to tired muscles than fresh muscles. That is pretty much reflected in endurance when one considers the average pull rate for 50 through 75 miles is about 15% where as it is 40% for 100's.

I don't know if cutting the distance to say 80 km would solve the problem, but it will at least put the race in the last starting at 40 km when the horse is fresher than they are at 120 km.

I expect much of this discussion is academic. It is the FEI that has to make the change. The FEI is all nations - the US only has one vote and that vote is the USEF not the AERC. If the event is shortened it will probably be because of piratical reasons, finishing in daylight, more spectator friendly, etc. than any other reason.

Truman

Von Simson, Cristiano wrote:
If we move to a shorter distance, all we will do is to increase the speed
dramatically, changing the reasons for non-completion to lameness and
muscular problems. The reason we don't see too many horses out in the first
50 miles is because the riders know that there is 50 more to go, and they are
saving their horses. As they get closer to the finish line, the "all or
nothing" mentality starts to take over...

Best Regards, Cristiano von Simson, DVM

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.