[RC] WEG distance - should it change? - Greenall

This is a great discussion although some suggestions to the WEC problem are not real world solutions.??

Truman said
Can you take a 6 year old with 200 miles and no 100's and nominate for
the US team - sure. Can the same horse do two fast 100's and make the
WEC team - sure. Can he then go run a 7:30 100 and win the WEC - maybe.
Will he ever be the same again - probably not and that is the problem
with asking a horse to do this without the base and skills, IMO.

Hit the nail on the head Truman!? Any rider nominating a young horse for the WEC needs to understand this.? If they are still willing to put their horse on the line for a chance at riding at a WEC then they assume the risk.? How other riders?perceive that is up to them.? As long as "the game"?exists the players will come.

Steph said
There is a lot of risk associated with asking a horse to travel 100 miles in?one day.?

Right on again.? Anyone who has ridden a 100 knows that those last 20 miles can be the toughest.? Having ridden several 75 and 80 mile rides, there is a huge difference between those and a 100.? ?75 miles simply does not "beat up" the horse (or rider) like a 100.? OK, a 75 is not the "ultimate challenge" as per Wendel Robie but then again, he never dreamed there would be 7 hour 100's.? I mean, who decided that 100 miles was THE distance anyway other than it sounds good.? 100 KM also sounds good.? As Steph pointed out, there is a lot of risk asking a horse to travel 100 miles a day.? If the sport can't slow the riders down, then what is wrong with lessening the risk by lessening the distance (of course seeing how the sport has gone recently it is possible for the hot shots to prove this theory wrong).? But it is a thought.??
I often wonder why 75-80 mile rides don't attract more riders.? For 50 mile riders who regularly top ten and say they never want to ride a 100, wouldn't they like more of a challenge?? For riders bringing along young horses, wouldn't it make an easier transition from 50's to 100's???
I know that the Old Dominion puts on a 75 and make no mistake, it's enough of a challenge.? I would like to hear about other rides and what riders think of "that middle distance".

John and Sue Greenall
www.vermontel.com/~greenall

Sue Greenall
www.vermontel.com/~greenall