Re: [RC] Over ridden? - Truman Prevatt

Steph Teeter wrote:
Kat - I don't agree with your statement that any horse which is removed from
competition has been over-ridden or 'ridden beyond its level of ability'.

Regarding lameness - there are many factors which can cause a gait
abberation, or lameness, which are not related to over-riding which you
state is related to fitness for the job. (e.g. bruised foot, twisted ankle,
blow from an object, thrown shoe, etc).
That is absolutely correct.
Likewise not every metabolic pull is caused by over-riding or lack of
fitness for the job (e.g. dehydration, travel stress, sickness, anxiety,
ulcer, extreme heat, extreme cold, azotoria, etc. )
This, however, I tend not to agree with. The only place I would not lay a metabolic issue at the feet of the rider is a horse is brewing some sort of unknown or undetected problem that is brewing and undetected by both the riders and the vets. Otherwise the rest is in the hand of the rider and it is the responsibility of the rider. Dehydration is not mysterious - it build up. The rider knows when the horse last drank and how much. The rider makes the decision to pass by water (and it happens) or not stay very long to let the horse relax and drink because they are chasing the gold ring. After all the rider is ultimately responsible for his horse and to know the status of his horse.

There is a lot of risk associated with asking a horse to travel 100 miles in one day, whether it is fast or slow, and to punish or ban riders who do not complete the course is an arbitrary punishment. It may sound good in theory when applied to riders who DO over ride their horses, but not every disqualification is because of over-riding

Basing a ban upon simply being disqualified, would probably eventually
reduce the number of entries to the point that there was no competition,
i.e. not much of a World Championship. If your goal is to prevent riders or
nations from repeatedly pushing horses beyond their limits, then you need to
find a way to identify just that.
Unfortunately it seems you have two options. The first is to base it on an absolute criteria or you can base it on a subjective criteria. True an absolute criteria will result in a rider every once in awhile being eliminated from competition for a period maybe not at their own fault. However, the other option is a political process subject to all the the issues and problems associated with political processes. Neither is perfect - but IMO the best of the worse is an absolute criteria based on a rider COC that is well designed and based on the riders past performance.

The real solution is for everyone to respect their horse more than they lust for victory. However, while that might be the best solution - it will not happen and if something is to be done - there are really only two options neither that good.

Truman

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.