Re: [RC] 2500 Mile Requirement - Truman Prevatt

Steph Teeter wrote:
Unfortunately the USEF is going the other direction. Now with 200 miles
and no 100's a horse can be nominated for the WEC.  I was told once in a
conversation where I expressed my displeasure in that decision that "we
need the younger horses to field a team of sound horses."

I don't believe that for a minute.>>

Neither do I, and this is something that I've been opposed to. Look at the
horses that have done the best at past WEC's - they are not the young ones,
they are seasoned horses. In human athletes it has been demonstrated that
'endurance' improves with age (as opposed to speed, which decreases with
age). I personally believe the same is true with horses. And soundness is
more a management factor than an age factor. IMO.

Steph

Actually I think we are finding that speed in humans doesn't decline as fast as once thought. Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson put that wives tale to rest. What increases with age is base and skill levels. Endurance events are much more dependent on skill and base than speed events. A human sprinter can do fine with crapy form, however, to be a good marathoner one needs good form (which is a skill that is learned).

Can you take a 6 year old with 200 miles and no 100's and nominate for the US team - sure. Can the same horse do two fast 100's and make the WEC team - sure. Can he then go run a 7:30 100 and win the WEC - maybe. Will he ever be the same again - probably not and that is the problem with asking a horse to do this without the base and skills, IMO.

I, however, think you and I may be in the minority of the AERC I members.

Truman

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.