Re: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006 - rides2far

Perhaps this is heresy... but is it possible that 100 mile horse
races are> simply too hard?? Perhaps it might be better if our sport
embraced a
shorter> version (or perhaps a 2 or 3 day version) for championship
level
competitions?

Heck yeah! Make the WEC into a multi-day. The multi-day folks have had it
way too easy...what with most of the riders coming to compete against the
trail and not making a real big deal over placings...let the Psycho,
"Gotta win or my country sucks" group ruin your sport by making it a win
at all costs every day event. Can't wait to see a horse after he's done 5
days of 3 hr. 50's. Maybe they'll forget about the 100 miles in one day
and it can go back to being what the multi-day people are enjoying
now...a true challenge with people who enjoy their horses and don't have
to deal with a bunch of jerks who are just out to stoke their egos.

I was disgusted with the people who insinuated our team had "embarassed"
us at the last WEC. From what I could see, it looked like we've kept our
heads refused to follow the current trend of insane pace at the expense
of the horses' long term careers.

NASCAR had a problem in their early days of too many wrecks, too many
guys going for the win or trashing their cars in the effort. They went to
a points system for year end awards where a driver is at a huge
disadvantage if they don't finish races.  Doesn't really work on the WEC
level. I'm not sure I'm even in favor of crowning an International Champ
any more since the one day format makes it too easy to risk a horse's
life or career for some pompous jerk's bragging rights. In my book it's
meaningless if they didn't train the horse and bring it along themselves
anyway, so I honestly don't care. If they're going to screw with the PAC
and not allow time zone teams any more I don't see any future for any of
it. Oh well...back to having fun. :-)

Angie (*hoping* to have a 100 mile horse by Biltmore!)