Re: [RC] FEI/WEG - Truman Prevatt

I did consider that before I wrote it, but the WEC is not the average AERC ride. My understanding from talking with several people is most of the rest of the world pretty much puts the responsibility on the vets to pull the horse from the get-go. The team vets work to get the horses through the check. There have been instances where ice was used on a sore muscle prior to the trot out so the horse would trot sound and be able to go on. In championship FEI rides the vets are also very particular and very quick to pull. There is none of the "working as a team to get you through the ride."

So I don't believe that would be a problem. They could also institute extra testing - such as blood work at various points - to get a better ideal how a horse is doing.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:
Rusty Toth wrote:
I believe FEI needs to put a larger restriction/responsibility upon the
riders for the way they ride the equine. I agree maybe a pull at
championship level should revoke the COC but is this far enough? I don't
believe so. Maybe if FEI would revoke a COC with any pull at any FEI event.
Maybe a rider who's horse need metabolic treatment at any FEI event should
be suspended from FEI level rides for say a year. Make it most imperative
that the riders FINISH the ride.

Be careful what you wish for. There's that old "unintended consequences" thingy. If you make it more costly to pull by having penalties for pulling, you create an incentive for riders to not pull when they know their horse is having problems but to try to hide the problem and finish.

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.