To: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:33 AM
Subject: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006

Perhaps this is heresy... but is it possible that 100 mile horse races are
simply too hard?? Perhaps it might be better if our sport embraced a shorter
version (or perhaps a 2 or 3 day version) for championship level
competitions? Certainly 100 miles in one day is the ultimate challenge, but
if the sport has become a 'last man standing' sport, then perhaps we don't
have it right yet. After seeing the last two Presidents Cup rides finish
winners in just over 7 hours, my thought was that this is simply not a
sustainable sport - horses are simply not mechanically or physiologically
capable of sustaining those speeds over those distances. We are seeing a
sport where only a few incredible athletes - the freaks - are able to play,
and the majority can't even finish the course.

In human sports there are 'ulta marathons' but this is also an extreme,
freak, sport- and if the Olympics embraced a 100 mile human race, we would
probably also see a 'last man standing' sport, where at least half the
competitors had to retire before they completed the course. And I don't
think the public would approve. I think the comparison between human
distance races and horse distance races is valid given the athletic ability
and capability of the two species. Humans can also run 100 miles, and it is
a valid challenge, a valid sport for the 'ultra' elite athlete, but it is
not a mainstream sport and therefore has limited appeal to the International
community. why is that??

It's easy to say 'well, just throw in rocks and mountains to slow them
down' - but this is not a solution that is available to most of the world.
And in a true race situation (e.g. International competition) an Old
Dominion type course would result in an unacceptable level of injury on race
day.

Give the current format of Endurance the only way to reverse the 'last man
standing' trend of International competition is to make people slow down,
which is a difficult concept in a true race format. Kat - your idea is as
good as any I've heard. But we'd still see 100 mile races around the world
(and in the US btw) where 50% completion rates are not unheard of.

But if we were given the opportunity to change the format (currently 100
miles in 1 day, speed is everything) of FEI Championship Endurance ... any
ideas? How can we test our own horses' endurance against the rest of the
world's horses' endurance and still reward skill, training, athletic
ability, sportsmanship - and still have a sport that we feel good about
doing??

Steph