[RC] Endurance buggy horse - Doris

I read the story of Jodi putting her older endurance horse on a buggy with no training and having a wonderful experience. I, too, had a horse

like that once, but he had had many hours of training early in his life and I did spend a month refreshing his mind. When we finally hooked him up (a Morgan), he acted as if he was born to do it and what took me so long. Years after that, I had a calm (boring) Morab mare that I decided I would train to drive. I spent months running around behind her with the harness on. I coerced the hubby into pulling on the traces to give her that breast tug feel. I then convinced hubby to pull my 2 wheel cart behind us with me ground driving her. I finally decided that this horse was unflappable, especially since she was safe enough to put infants on. So, one evening we decided to hook her to the carriage using 3 people. Everything was done slowly and carefully. I had one side completely hooked up when she just freaked and took off. Luckily the cart finally flipped and broke to pieces so she was free of it. She only ran a bit further. It took awhile, but finally found out she chipped her sesamoid, which pretty much took this wonderful 4 year old out of commision for years. She has never really done anything much since then either. I recently, after a long period of not wanting to see a carriage, decided to train my 4 yo calm Morgan to a carriage. I got luckier this time as he didn't get hurt worse than the chiropractor could fix. Not sure yet if the brain will ever mend.

All I can say is no one should ever hook a horse without training unless you are ready to lose your horse and possibly your life. It can be dangerous beyond what you could ever imagine. Let's be safe and kind to our horses and ourselves.

Doris Rinehart
Maryland