RE: [RC] weed free - David LeBlanc

Ed said:

horse manure causes water pollution.  If they loose on water
pollution they will try .....

Actually, it does, and it is very quantifiable. Horse manure will impose a
certain level of biological oxygen demand (BOD). If you exceed what a
particular water body can carry, you'll cause it to go anoxic and kill it.
The example they used when we were taught this was that a milk tanker
wrecked on a bridge and dumped its load into a river. If I remember
correctly, the numbers were reasonable, and the effects of the tanker spill
would be measurable for about 100 miles downstream. The local effects were
pretty bad - serious levels of fish kill. We can model both BOD and what the
impact will be on a water body fairly accurately.

It's relatively easy to measure this, then figure backwards just how many
horses pooping in the stream it would take to screw things up. It could well
be that you'd have to park a small herd in the stream to have a serious
impact. So knowing what that number is would be really useful, esp. since we
don't want to screw things up and damage streams. It's also relatively easy
to remedy - build bridges.

Unfortunately, we will have to play their game.

So let's play it as well or better than they do. I don't understand why
there's such a combative relationship - we don't want to screw up the
environment, either. Let's start from that common ground, figure out what
our impact really is, and go from there.