RE: [RC] weed free - David LeBlanc

Truman said:

The "control of non-native" argument seems to be carried to
the extreme today. A prime example is fescue - sold as good
old Kentucky 31. It is now classified by the Feds as an
invasive species because it was brought over by the British
in the colonial days.

OK, and we can and should have as a country an ongoing debate about how to
best deal with changes. I'm not going to take the position that the Feds do
nearly anything right all the time. I would suspect there's more to it than
only the fact that it was brought in from Europe.

But I'd like to bring the discussion back to us losing trail. If we're
losing trail because there's a perception, apparently not backed by
research, that horses spread weeds, then we need to get some research to
find out what's really going on. I've read most of the web sites that are
cited earlier in the thread LAST time this came around on ridecamp (maybe
time before last - it comes around a lot), and they're arguing based on
emotion. It's traditional to use horses, etc. Those are losing arguments.
It's traditional to dump raw sewage into streams, rivers, and the ocean, and
I don't think we ought to keep doing that. We understand the reasons why we
shouldn't do that, and we have a pretty good handle on how much of what a
body of water can absorb.

So we need to understand what the impacts are of horses. We need to know
these as facts backed by real research. Then we can make rational decisions.
Horses _do_ have an impact. Couple too much traffic with improperly built
trails and the right soil conditions, and sure enough, erosion is a serious
problem. We build a lot of bridges and do a lot of trail work up here to
correct those problems. Once we understand the facts, then we can make
appropriate decisions - maybe there are places we shouldn't take horses.
Maybe there's other places that shouldn't get more than 25 horses per day,
and you should have to get a permit. Then there's places we can run hundreds
of horses through without a lot of damage.

I'm approaching this problem as an _Environmental Engineer_. Emotional
arguments don't do the tree-huggers much good, either. Greenpeace and some
of the other more theatrical groups only serve to draw attention to things.
What really advances the environmental cause, and does so correctly, is
facts. Armed with facts, you can go to court and make changes. If we are
also armed with facts, then we'll know whether we're being unfairly
deprived. If we are, then we can challenge these decisions in court and get
some changes made.