From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] On Behalf Of Amy Martin
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 5:34 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] hoof puzzler

just in case anyone has had a similar scenario and has advice to offer:

paso fino mare, 6 years old, barefoot first 5 years, shod for last year for
competitive trail riding.  Each time she is shod she cringes(pulls away
slightly, makes faces, knees buckle a bit, back humps a bit) when shoes are
pulled off or nailed on.  No problem with trimming or rasping.  After shoes
back on she shifts weight from foot to foot and is tender for a day.  Twice
I have tried to let her go a set without shoes and she got mild laminitis
both times with heat and bounding pulse.  This last weekend her shoes were
pulled Thursday and by Friday she was laying down, Sat morning was walking
on eggshells and holding heat in both front feet.  I gave her bute and
wrapped her feet.  Monday at the vet she was much better, walked across
gravel parking lot barefoot without flinching and x-ray views for founder,
navicular, and ringbone were all clean.  She is on week 6 of time off for
some sort of tendon or ligament strain, again with the clean ultrasounds and
knee x-rays.

So, I have a lame horse with no clinical signs on film or ultrasound.  Vets
telling me to put her back to work but.....maybe some sort of chronic mild
laminitis?  Should I put her shoes back on for support or leave them off?
More rest?  Back to work?  Yikes!!

Amy