Re: [RC] Cost of Horse Living - Sky Ranch

I'm one of the lucky ones, I've lived in the country for most of my life, so have been able to keep my horses at my house.  I agree, there's no way I'd want to forego having a horse.  They've been a part of my life - forever.

My current costs are mostly for hay and farrier.  Vet bills are negligible unless one gets hurt, then it's expensive.

Here's the breakdown, per month, for one horse:

$ 60  Hay
$ 30  Farrier (averaged out over a year)
$   4  wormer
$ 26  feed, electrolyes, salt

So that's about $120 a month.  I give vaccinations myself, so I can save money there.  Probably spent $35 on vaccines per horse last year, for the total year, not per month.

I won't count the rest, the truck, the trailer, the gasoline, the pasture, fencing, etc.  Because I'd have most of that expense anyway, since I really don't want to live "in town."

In the past 5 years, I've spent less than $1,500 on vet bills, but that's on a lot of horses -- at one point I had 14 horses, now I have 5.  It's impossible to say how much I've spent on vet bills over the years, it's been a lot.  But it's not a constant, or usual, expense.  Thank goodness.

Carla Richardson
Colorado