Re: [RC] [RC] Bare Spot in saddle area. Can I do a 50? Need answer! - Laney Humphrey

You might not have gotten any replies because there isn't a clear cut answer. The safe answer is no you shouldn't attempt a 50 with anything less than a perfectly healthy horse. OTH, you could go and see what the vet's have to say, being prepared to not be allowed to start. If you do that, take something along to cover and protect the spots with and plan to check and reapply frequently. I think the answer depends on how much of a risk taker you are and whether you're willing to shell out the fuel money and prep time accepting the chance that your horse won't vet in.
Laney

Christina Schiro wrote:

Haven't gotten any replies to my original post. Had planned on doing a 50 this weekend. Any opionions? - Christina

[RC] Bare Spot in Saddle Area. Can I ride? - Christina Schiro

Last weekend I noticied some crusties in Ice's hair (not attached to the skin). It was dark out and I started scratching them out, and all of of a sudden I realized the hair was coming out with it too. So now I have two spots in the saddle area (where my thigh would be) where the hair is gone. The skin is not broken or scabbed and it doesn't seems to be inflamed or ouchy to the touch. They're about 1/2" wide by 1" long. There are some stray hairs and the hair is starting to grow back, but it is definetly a bare spot. I've been putting on M-T-G to encourage hair growth. Friend saw it and said it was rain rot.
This Saturday, I am planning on doing my first 50! Is it ok to ride him that long or should I not even attempt it?! I did ride him for a few hours yesterday and he seemed fine. I put some M-T-G on the spots before I put the saddle pad (skito pad with the soft underside) on to keep that bare skin slick and prevent friction rubs.
Help!