Re: [RC] I GOT MY FIRST HORSE!!! - Sisu West Ranch

"...She hasn't had a Coggins test but she was born at the stables and the stables are Coggins free..."

I would.  But it partly depends upon what state you are in and where you intend to go.  If you are in a state with little or no EIA, and do not intend to ever leave the state you could possibly save a few dollars.   Unfortunately, there are unapparent carriers.  I dated a woman years ago who skipped a prepurchase coggins and later found, when she tried to get interstate papers that her beloved gelding was positive and had to be either put down, or go to a quarantine facility.  She was devastated, and did not replace the horse.

You will need a negative Coggins to leave your home state, and will have to get one there so write one into the sales contract, and you are good for between 6 months and one year, depending on where you live.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875