[RC] teaching a horse to stay after a fall - Spottedracer

This mare always takes off when I come off. You'd think after all the miles we've done together she'd have just a tiny bit of attac

**You know, this is something I ended up training my horses to do - without really thinking about it... I teach my riding students how to 'control bail' and fall and roll - to dissipate the force.   Realized that my horses were all figuring out to stand still - since it was always at the end of the lesson. Recently, the students were learning to 'goat tie' - and some of the horses weren't stopping quickly.. I told the students to start swinging off (while in motion) to get a quicker time. EVERY SINGLE horse slammed on the brakes when they felt the rider coming off.
***Now SOMETIMES on a 'trail-ride fall' the horses still get a little nervous. But if both riders fall (synchronized) then at least ONE of my horses ends up standing there. And the OTHER horse doesn't go far without the Buddy..***grin**
- LP