Re: [RC] [RC] what do I think when coming off? - Dawn Carrie

I remember when my gelding fell with me during a 50 back in 2002.  Not really "coming off," still hitting the ground.  We were flying along at a huge trot.  At first I thought he'd tripped, and expected him to recover.  By the time I realized that no, this was the real deal and we were goin' down, I just had time to push off his neck with both hands to try and land as far away from him as possible.  I hit the ground like a lawn dart with my head, hitting about halfway between my forehead and the top of my head.  I remember seeing the ground coming up at me slowly and quickly - both speeds at once.  I recall thinking, "oh sh*t, this is bad" and then BAM.  My head hit, shattering my helmet, then my right cheekbone hit, breaking my eye socket.  Turns out Chivas had stepped in a hole in the grass.  Luckily his leg was ok.  I got my first ambulance ride, and still have double vision when I look upward without tipping my head up.

About 3 1/2 weeks ago my youngster bolted and started bucking when I tried to mount.  I lasted 5 or 6 bucks with my leg half over him and leaning over the pommel.  I had plenty of time to think about how totally screwed I was and just knowing that it was not a matter of "if" I was going to come off, but "when and where."  I hit the ground with a full frontal (going from a "C" cup to a "B" cup in the process <G>), and he kicked me in the side of the head below my helmet behind my right eye as he went on by.  Another ER visit, another CT scan.  LOL  I decided after this incident that I prefer hitting the ground suddenly, rather than having plenty of time to see it coming and waiting for it to happen.

Dawn