Re: [RC] Interesting 'bite the dirt' stories.... - Keith Kibler

Spottedracer@xxxxxx wrote:

Here's my most memorable 'bite the dirt' story (I've got tons, since I was either a paid rider and/or trainer for many years...)

I was riding my recently trained 4 1/2 year old app stud... He was my barrel horse, so during a 'stallion review' exhibition at the Volunteer horse fair... I decided that the mare owners would like to see a LOT of action for his 3 minute review... Since he was an 'solid white' app - I was wearing my native american costum (no helmet - Didn't fit the costume. And this young stallion had ALWAYS been the perfect horse!) and had recently purchased a copy of a calvary saddle. I was an Indian riding a stolen calvary mount.....

For the first two days (2 stallion reviews each day) - we wowed the audience with breakneck turns, spins and sliding stops at his full gallop. Cantering in sidepass, and I spun around and cantered while riding backwards..... The final day, the final review.. I'm flying into the turn, the professional photographers are waiting to snap the perfect picture.... I feel the saddle 'slipping' - not worried, I grab his mane knowing that I can balance the saddle with my seat (if need be...)... Well, the saddle was literally splitting in half!!! It dissolved underneith me!! I had a good hold of his thick, long mane - and the G-forces of the speed and turn swung me to the outside... I hung onto his neck - and ended up hanging under his neck..wrapping my legs around his chest (so he wouldn't step on me.. with the solid wall there - I had no where else to go!)

Fortunantly, He stopped quickly... he wasn't sure what 'momma' was asking of him - since I'd NEVER come off him.... The saddle was under his belly - held on with my expensive beaded breastcollar.... Everyone was in shock! they had all assumed I was doing a trick riding stunt, until he stopped with the saddle under him!... My farrier happened to be in the crowd - he jumped down into the arena - we cut the saddle off .. And to try and save face (and make sure my young stud wasn't traumatized) I got a leg up - and finished out the exhibition bareback..

Later on, I was shaken, hurting terribly - and realized just how close to death I had come!!!
- LP

Okay LP, you win overall, plus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. You sound fun to ride with! Keith