RE: [RC] Barefoot 'trimming' - heidi

You're right, Ed--but would add that I've defined the environment in which my horses live several times on this list.  They live for the most part on a rocky hillside.  In summer, some of my mares are on irrigated pasture too--and they do get a bit longer when they are down there.  But it only takes a couple of weeks of "natural trimming" back up on the hill in the fall to get them right back to fairly ideal feet.

Heidi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [RC]   Barefoot 'trimming'
From: "Ed & Wendy Hauser" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, November 03, 2006 9:35 am
To: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Spottedracer@xxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"...
My broodmares are out on natural terrain 24/7, and other than an occasional fix-it trim (yes, we do eyeball them regularly) they have not needed much in the way of trimming for the 6 YEARS that we've been here...."

I suspect that this is an example of the wide variation in horse hoof wear dependent upon the activity level and even more importantly the abrasive nature of their environment.

Our present place is rocky, in the sense that there are round granite rocks of every size whenever you try to dig a hole.  Because we have good water rights, we also have abundant grass.  Our unshod stock does need trimming.  Right now they are out on a 14 A hayfield, during the summer they rotate between 4 A pastures.

I remember a story, by a noted horseman whose name escapes me.  He stated that when he was a boy and everything was done with horses, he never saw a shod horse.  This included draft horses pulling beer wagons, buggy horses, and ridden horses.  He then said that he had grown up on Cape Cod, Mass.   It was then obvious why.  That area is 90% pure white sand and 10% crushed sea shells.

My take away is:  Be sure to carefully define the environment before you make a hoof care statement.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=