[RC] bucking twh - Keith Kibler

I bought a 16-16.1 dapple twh last week as a possible back up endurance ride. He is at least 250 lbs overweight. 7 Years old. Was ridden twice a year whether he was ready or not. Somehow, (note sarcasim here) he got barn sour, mare sour and according to the owner, "learned to buck real good!).
The owner got scared of him. Hey the last think anyof us want is an out of control 1250 lb horse that likes to buck and is barn sour/buddy sour right?

The owner got word to our trainer and he called me. We went to look at the horse. Rebel was skitterish to say the least. I bought him for less than a 1/3 of what the owner had in him because of the issues he honestly told me about.
Day one-round pen, horse did not buck
Day two- same
today, round pen in the mud, horse never "buddied up" the way I wanted, no licking or chewing. Wanting to actually get on his back, I worked him for at least 30 minutes. He did soften. Sacked him out, had to use a stud chain to make him stand still. Saddle on- No bucking.

Rode him in the round pen, did my level best to be calm, ready for one reign stop at first bucking sign. Man is this horse got me high off the ground. Helmet on VERY tight. Wife watching with really big eyes. (probably mine were also big?)
Walked horse out of pen, let him be by pasture mare he had been beside for the last week. Got back on and followed the mare with a buddy on the mare up and down gravel road. So far, no bucking. yeah!
Had the mare get farther and farther away and turn back towards me. Finally had the mare slip off completely where Rebel could not see here. Kept thinking, "stay calm stay calm". It did not help that the trainer friend said "be ready for an explosion anytime here!" Rebel got sideways a couple of times but I just stayed after him moving in a straight line.
Round one goes to the human.
Who knows about round two.
Keep us posted on your bucking issues. Maybe we can all learn from each other.
Who really knows about these equines we all love? I had a colt last week that I was working go a little ape over a butterfly.
One reign stops are my hero.
Keith
Shawnee Sunrise Farm.