RE: [RC] Truck and Trailer - suggestions? - David LeBlanc

There's a lot of right choices here, and a lot depends on your budget. One
thing to consider is that nearly any full-size truck will _pull_ what you
have, the real question is whether it will _stop_ what you have, or whether
the suspension will handle it.

To get an idea of this, look at the towing guide, and look for GCVW - gross
combined vehicle weight. Now add up how much your truck weighs (probably
6000-9000 pounds), add in the camper (unless you go the LQ route), the
weight of the trailer, and about 1000 pounds/horse. Next, add in how much
water you'll carry - 10 gallons is about 80 pounds. And guess how much extra
stuff you'll put in - tack, dishes, food, etc, etc, etc.

For an extreme example, you can learn from our mistakes. We bought a 33'
Featherlite 4H, 13' LQ trailer, and tried to use our Chevy 3500 to tow it.
It pulled OK, but when we tried to stop it going down a very steep hill, it
threw the suspension out of whack, the front wheels shimmied violently, and
we had smoke coming out of the wheel wells from overworked brakes. I didn't
like that much, and my wife was REALLY not amused.

So I foolishly thought the problem was Chevy vs. Ford, and while I was
discussing options with the salesman, Jennifer was reading the towing guide.
On the way home, she tells me a F-350 isn't going to cut it. Turns out the
F-350 has a GCVW of 20,000 pounds, and we easily go over that. She wisely
wanted some over capacity. We got an F-550 that has a GCVW of 26,000, and
it's been doing great for the last 6 years.

The whole thing of camper and bumper pull vs. LQ vs. motor home with bumper
pull - all have pros and cons, and I'm not going to get into that now. The
most important thing is to buy more than enough truck.