[RC] Rider doesn't do anything/baseball swing - heidi larson

This is certainly off topic so I'll apologize in advance, however, I thought this was very cool.  A girl, not sure from where, did her science project on baseball players, good hitters vs. poor, and she had a piece of paper with three sillouettes of baseballs, one the real size, one slightly smaller and one slightly larger.  The group of very good hitters all thought the larger sillouette was the actual size of the ball, the poor hitters picked the smaller sillouette.  She also applied this to golfers, the sillouette represented the cup the ball goes in to, once again, the good golfers thought the larger was the actual size of the cup, while the poor golfers thought it was the smaller of the three.  Interesting I thought!!!

heidi

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can assure you that Barry Bonds does not hit a ball with his upper
body. Barry Bonds has one of the best swings in baseball. He is smooth
and has extremely good timing with his hips. Where the extra mass form
the drugs comes in is his the extra weight that goes into the ball, not
arm strength. Hitting a baseball comes from hip rotation and timing of
your weight shift.

Most of the great home run hitters in baseball were not big. Willy Mays
was 5-10, 175 to 180. Hank Arron about the same as was Frank Robinson.
Ted Williams was not much bigger. The Sultan of Swat was about 6-1 and
200 pounds - not an exceptionally big man and all his upper body
strength came from lifting a beer mug as did about 20 of his 200 pounds
come from all the beer he drank. The one thing they shared in common was
very keen eyesight (it is rumored that Williams could tell you the brand
of ball the pitcher was pitching from reading it on the pitch),
extraordinary eye-hand coordination and a very smooth coordinated
flawless swing.

You probably got better hitting the ball because your lower body timing
was better and you were just in better shape.

Truman

--

?Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the
axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.? Albert