[RC] My first100 - Mateef

Last weekend I entered and finished my first 100 mile endurance ride at Spook Run in Southern Indiana. I have dreamed of doing a 100 mile ride for nearly 10 years, but never thought I was quite ready. I am currently competing 50's on a (I thought) very ordinary, nice horse. There was nothing about him to suggest he was the perfect 100 miler. I had trouble keeping shoes on him, sometimes he got so caught up in the ride, he didn't take good care of himself. He had some metabolic issues a couple of years ago. But this year, I saw some changes in him. A little more confidence and a lot more calmness. At Peace Point, I attempted and completed the 25 mile ride on Friday and attempted but did not complete the 50 on Sunday. Late into the third loop, he slipped in the mud and was ever so slightly off at that 3rd vet check. But I had SO MUCH horse that day. I was really impressed with him.

After talking with Patti Stedman, I made the decision to send in my entry for Spook Run 100. It poured down rain the whole 7 drive to Indiana. I had many doubts. I didn't have a crew, the trails would be muddy, I didn't know anyone riding the 100. I must be insane. BUT, endurance riders are the best people on earth. The small group of 100 mile starters (there were only 5 of us) put all my fears and doubts to rest the morning of the ride. We started out in the dark and a sane walk until we got to the fire road trail, where an easy trot was the gait of choice. All very comforting. We all rode together for almost 2 hours, at which point one rider opted to slow down just a bit and I decided it would be prudent to do likewise. Marie Threadgill mentored me through the entire 100 miles from then on. What a wonderful lady. Her horse Majic was just the right partner for my Kirby and they paced very similar.

I always had any help I needed at the vet checks (those all important personal needs). And at the midnight hold, true to her word, Jinnifer Plummer was ready and willing to help me thru that check. Kirby got a massage and I got to just sit. Bless you Jinnifer!!! And that adult beverage really hit the spot. I can't wait to ride WITH you.

Anyone contemplating your first 100, know that you are never alone. The endurance community is the best in the world. I'm in heaven.

Blessings,
Sallie Sullivan in NE Ohio