Re: [RC] fast rides - Joe Long

larry Miller wrote:
Christina, rule of thumb. Your training rides should be faster than what you actually do at the ride. If you are going to ask for an 8 mph pace, train at a 9 or 10 mph pace at home.

That's generally a good idea, especially as you aren't going as far on your training rides as you are at the event.

Another rule of thumb, if
you plan on a 25 then you need to do 25 miles a week in training. 50, then do 50 training miles a week. Some even say if you want to do a 100, do 100 miles of training per week. I never did that for a 100 but I sure did some fast training miles in preparation and probably about 60 - 70 training miles a week. Then you have to remember that the last week before a ride, you cannot get your horse in any better shape than what he is already. So you need to back off some and only check for soundness before you go to the ride. Jeanie

This is something else that depends on the horse, and your ride schedule. I believe many people overtrain, to their horses' detriment. I have never trained this much on any horse that I've had. I agree, though, about resting the last week. If I have rides only a week or two apart, the only riding I do in between is enough to limber up and check for problems.

Here's a bedrock "rule of thumb:" do not ask your horse to do anything on a ride that you haven't trained for at home. This includes uphill and downhill. I train at ride-speed downhill to condition the horse to handle ride-speed downhill, for example. I will also do some training on hard surfaces to condition for concussion. I've used paved roads for this -- some stretches right down the center of a paved road, on the yellow line, rather than on the shoulder. I ride the centerline so the horse doesn't think he can just move out onto the pavement when I want to ride the shoulder. (Obviously, you can't do this on a road with any traffic!)