[RC] LD/50 times - terre

Truman said:

> I think you guys are involved in more of an academic exercise
> than anything else.

Well, of course we are! What else is ridecamp for? You don't think we're accomplishing anything substantive, do you?

It is 'academically' interesting, though, to discuss the different factors that can influence the data. This sport is SO complex, involving so many variables, that to draw any hard-and-fast conclusions from any of the data we gather is something of a reach.

Ride times are influenced by a host of factors--weather and terrain, etc as discussed. But there are other things to consider. Was the winning time an "anomaly" in the sense that the winner was WAY ahead of the next horse? Having a 'superstar' winning a number of races with the rest of the field far behind can skew the apparent data, if you look only at the 'winning time'. Perhaps it would be more valuable to look at the median or mean times. Got a couple of 100 hours to do that?

David mentioned pull rates/times with respect to season, and that's a valuable observation. It's possible there are somewhat higher pulls later in the year, as the horses start to tire or develop problems--I think there are certainly fewer STARTS late in the season as people decide "enough is enough" and stay home with horses who are starting to show problems--as well they should! That could slow down winning times, as well.

The variables are almost infinite!

terre