Re: [RC] LD or 50 - Truman Prevatt

I've never seen anyone that can down a carton of Ben and Jerry's like Jeanie can :-) . I think this post pretty much sums it up.

Truman

larry Miller wrote:
Can't stand it anymore. Folks ride different mileage for different reasons. Some want to race, some want to finish, some are new, some are old, some just want to ride a favorite horse on a trail at whatever distance is comfortable. I have seen folks runs a 25 in less than 2 hrs. The horse was very fit. I have seen folks run a 50 in 4 hrs. The horse is fit. I did it in the 80s. My horse was fit. Now I am old, arthritic, but can still eat ice cream, Truman will tell you that. My horse is NOT in the shape that I use to get a horse into when I was younger. But, I can still ride, I love to ride, I love the juniors I get to take, and 25s are comfortable. Folks do the mileage for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, there are always a few who are going to learn the hard way. Some will learn, others won't get it. One does the best one can do. I have no problem telling someone to slow up and I have no problem taking a newbie with me. Most folks do the same. If one is a newbie, do not be afraid to get out and try this sport. Never believe the printed word totally. Read it, think about it, apply it to you and your horse. Remember this, we all started out as newbies. Some of us learned some things the hard way. But we learned. So can you. Be smart about it. Don't run the horse fast whatever the distance, go a nice constant speed. Learn the game, improve with each ride.. LDs fill a void. If an LD wasn't offered, I would no longer be riding endurance. But whoopee, it is offered, I can still come, have fun, and ride my old favorite horse on trail at a distance that is comfy for me and comfy for my horse. It aint over til the fat lady sings. Jeanie

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein