Re: [RC] for Truman & Ed - Truman Prevatt

The two axioms of Einstein's theory of Special Relativity. 1. The laws of physics are independent in all inertial (non accelerating) reference frames. That is if you are traveling in a car on a straight road at constant speed you can drink you soda without it going all over the place just the same as you can stopped at a stop light. You can play ping pong on a moving train if it's not speeding up, slowing down or going around a curve just the same as you can in your rec room.

2. The speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant - independent of motion of the light source.

There is a pretty good lay discussion at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity.

Those sound simple but - they carry a wallop. First there are no preferred frame from which to make measurements. This results if I am "at rest" and measure your atomic clock that is moving - I will observe your clock to be moving slower than the same atomic clock in at rest in my references. However, you are at rest in your reference frame and you will measure my clock to be slower than yours.

These postulates also have the effect of tying space to time (since distance is measured by the time it takes electromagnetic energy to travel) one gets observes both a time dilation and spatial dilation. Relativity knocked time off it's pedestal it had enjoyed till 1905 as being "absolute." It is not - it is relative to the observer.

The speed of the clocks don't really change but how they are observed changes depending on the reference frame in which they are measured (this is a result of the second axiom).

This is the most tested theory in physics and experimental results agreement with prediction has always been within the measurement limitations of the instrumentation.

Why do you care and how is it endurance related? If you ride with a GPS it impacts you. Because the velocity of the GPS satellite is very large it relativistic effects of have to be considered. There are actually two relativistic effects - one is the special relativistic effect and the general relativistic effect (from gravity). This means that the clocks on board the space crafts have to be adjusted by 44 thousand nanoseconds/second and the receivers have to have software to compensate for the dilation effects in order for the system to work. This is so time transfer will be accurate and you and the satellite are on the same time. They also have to adjust for the Sagnac effect because both the earth and satellites are in a rotating frame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagnac_effect. Another practical use of the Sagnac effect is laser gyroscopes which are extremely accurate.

For most things on the earth the relativistic effects are present but are negligible - when a satellite is involved that is no longer true. As we are tying to do more and more precise and accurate remote sensing from space - we are finding that we have to be more and more careful in understanding both the relativistic and quantum effects and compensate for them in the design and processing of the sensor data.

For example some of the original imaging radar images produced by the old SR71 Blackbird imaging radar payload were all fuzzy because of the impact of time/distance dilation and in order to focus the images - relativistic effects had to be considered in the processing. So even at that Mac 3, for some high performance sensor applications, relativistic effects had to be factored in.

More than you ever wanted to know.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

Perhaps we should also consider the possibility that the Fitzgerald* contraction can affect saddle fit on an Arabian horse.

Ed

*There was a young man named Fisk
Whose fencing was exceedingly brisk
When he went into action
The Fitsgerald contraction
Diminished his sword to a disk
---Anonymous

Objects going at speeds very close to the speed of light appear to an outside observer to be shorter than they were at rest.

(Actually, if I remember correctly, from the point of view an observer on the horse neither the horse or saddle would appear to change in length. This is puzzling to me since the observer on the horse would know that it was him and the horse that had changed speeds and thus were going near the speed of light. I'm sure that Truman can give a better explanation. He actually uses this stuff, I was mostly involved in "Carpet Science" not rocket science.)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein