[RC] teaching to tie via mules - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

>The TB was tied to one of these special mules, and after a few days the mule would be dragging the horse around at >will...sometimes the horse would be dragged lying flat out on the ground. After a couple of weeks being tied to the mule, >the TB became very docile(obviously!!). The owner of the horse was OK with this method and took the horse back for "Tune-?up" sessions every 6 months or so. By the way, I did not approve of this method.

FWIW,  I think with any species of young animal (including humans), there's a fine line between Enough and Too Much.  No, I would never tie a horse to a mule for weeks at a time, nor would I allow a horse to be dragged around on the ground when it sounds like it was exhausted and past learning anything.  But, my young Anglo was also taught some of the finer points of giving to pressure by my very smart old pack mule Mildred---while I was present, for no more than about an hour per session, under very controlled circumstances.

Cheyenne was two at the time, and wore a very heavy pack halter with heavy cotton rope and a knotted loop of inner tube tire in the middle for a bit of give.  The rope was tied off to Mildred's pack saddle, which wasn't going *anywhere*.  Rope pretty short, too short to get seriously tangled in.  Mildred was about 40 years old at the time (she's now 44)(no kidding), has the density of plutonium, never loses her temper and does/goes where she wants, at somewhere around the speed of evolution.  Cheyenne bounced around a little, got a reproachful look from Mildred, and then came along in the end, plus had the advantage of being with a buddy (she and Mildred normally hung out together).  She "got" the concept within ten minutes and did just great.

No dragging, no exhaustion on the ground, no fireworks.  Granted, Cheyenne had already had plenty of prior handling and training, and only needed to learn the difference between leading-as-a-request versus yes-we-are-now-going-whether-you-like-it-or-not.  Mildred did a good job of teaching her without hysterics.  There are times when the best teacher for a good young horse is a good old horse…or mule.

Maybe some people would still consider this a cruel practice, but I'd be hard pressed to see how Cheyenne was badly treated under these circumstances.  She never needed any "tune-ups" afterwards, once she learned what I wanted in the first place.

Mildred is also available to teach Getting Out of Wind, Breaking Ice in Water Trough and Chase the Mountain Lion From the Pasture seminars.<g>

I guess the devil is in the details.

Anyway, JME.  Your mileage may vary.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM