[RC] Hoof injury advice - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Attn. Farriers. I've got some photos I'd love for you to debate.
(I've already bothered Jody privately) I went out to saddle Gunner
yesterday and was surprised to see a big horizontal split about 1/2
way down the inside heel of his right fore. Lifted it up and it goes
all the way across to the frog. I mean a wide separation. I took
dental floss and put it in there and can go about 1-1.5" forward with
no resistance. He did not mind me doing that. He did not mind hoof
testers on it. He trotted fine on gravel. No sign of blood. I walked
my entire fence line wondering if he could have hooked his hoof over
wire and sawed that in there. No sign of anything. (and there's a
good hotwire 6" inside that fence so they never bother it)

This horse was a thin pasture potato until last Feb. He'd been ridden
quite a bit several years ago but had at least 2 years of goofing
off. He has done 5 50's this year with no lameness. He had really
long toes when I got him. He'd been barefoot a couple of years and
had tough feet but *long* toes and we've been backing them up each
shoeing. The question is, did some exterior stress cause the crack?
Could the change of angles cause it? We're looking at putting a bar
shoe and patching material on there. He's sound. Since I have nothing
better to think about until the farrier comes out. Anybody want to
venture a guess as to how this could happen and tell me about the
horses you've seen win Tevis with worse? (please)

If you want to venture a guess write me and I'll happily send photos.

Angie (rides2far at juno.com)

http://www.lightersideofendurance.com