RE: [RC] fencing - Angie - Tracey Lomax

Alison asked:

>>So, Tracey, what do you do with the smart ones who escape out of boredom and curiosity.
 Ah, you mean the ones like Toc? :)  He did that A LOT when he was younger.  Keeping him in a communal paddock helped, because he always had company, and I taught him to tie at shows.  I'm lucky because my disciplines don't require that I camp overnight, if I have a two-day show I can either take him home overnight or stable him overnight at the venue.  Once he'd settled down (at around ten years old!!) he would stand quite happily at shows in our little "paddock" system.   I do have to tie up the gates at the stable and paddock that I put him into, but I haven't noticed him trying to escape for ages : I now just do it out of habit.

>> If you walk through a gate once, both know its an escape route.  They have taken my gates apart, popped out fence rails - popped out bottom rails and crawled under the hot wire.  One of them used to lie down and shimmy under the bottom rail when I had the stretchey fence and it would bend a little.  Putting a lot of toys in the paddock seems to be helping.
I had a pony like that once.....I eventually gave up and let him roam the property.  We never competed him, and if we had, I'd have simply made my groom hold him the entire time at the show.  (Okay, so I *do* have that option - got any friends looking for a quick buck who would act as Horse Holder, Alison ?)

The point I'm making more than anything is that if it's true that "horses are horses" you just don't let a situation get that out of control.  Yes, sometimes it happens no matter what you do, but nine times out of ten, these accidents are caused because people don't take appropriate "evasive action" to prevent them happening.