[RC] Methods to teach a horse to stand tied - Spottedracer

When I used to breed and raise horses I had a particular routine for feeding the mares (all of which I had broke-to-ride, used for lessons..)  Worked WONDERFULLY!

I had several heavy-duty, well-cemented, long hitching posts - which were arranged in a large square around the door of my old tackbuilding. (20'X30' hitching square). On one side was the main gate for the pasture. The mares were trained to each go to an 'assigned' spot, I had heavy-duty halters/leads tied at each spot and a bucket. AFTER each mare went to her spot, had a halter put on, THEN I put the feed in the buckets.

ALL Foals got assigned spots 5'-8' past their Dam, on the same hitching line. They started to be haltered & tied at 14 days of age.

Soon after they all finished eating, the gate to the pasture was opened, and each one had her halter taken off an told to go out... You ALWAYS put the halters ON - dominant first - to the submissive.. You ALWAYS take the halters OFF - the most submissive first, to the most Dominant. - LP