RE: [RC] [RC] Methods to teach a horse to tie well - Jennifer Adam

I've taught my mustangs to stand tied by using a very gradual approach - first in halter, I make sure they learn to give to pressure (in every direction). When I'm confident they know how to yield and relax at the feeling of pressure, I loop the lead rope around a stout fence post. I apply pressure from a few feet away and wait for the horse to take one step forward. When she has released her own pressure, I praise her and offer a few good scratches or a piece of carrot. I gradually increase my distance away and the length of time I expect the horse to stand patiently. Then I introduce something a little scary - not enough to panic the horse, but maybe a clapping sound, the sound of a zipper, whatever I know will startle her but not send her into a bolt. When she startles, I hold the lead rope firmly against the post so she moves around and suddenly feels a solid resistance. If the horse panics at that feeling of restraint, I let out on the rope and do some more work. Most of the time, though, the horse has already done so much "yield to pressure" work that it's automatic even in a stress situation and she moves into the pressure. I will then "test" the response by increasing the scary stimulus - until I am comfortable flapping things, waving plastic bags, banging cans, whatever and knowing that my horses will just stand there patiently. Then I tie the rope in a half-hitch knot, test them a few times, and *bingo* they know how to stand nicely. I also teach them to stand ground tied, just because it makes things easier for me - I would not trust this in a stressful situation! And I don't let my horses paw the ground while tied- I know it's normal for many horses and I've had arguments about it on other horse groups about ignoring it versus working it out of them, but I don't think it's a good idea and from the beginning I gently discourage it.

JMHO -
Jen

Try the next generation of search with Windows Live Search today! http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline