Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Are the LD's feeding 50's? - Truman Prevatt

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In fact, I'm quite sure that it isn't perilous to publish ride times. Last year, I took all the rides in the NW and the SE (regions where ride times are published routinely) and compared the speeds of winning ride times and tail-end ride times of LD rides with the same stats for the longer distance rides over the same courses on the same days. With very few exceptions, the endurance speeds were FASTER than the LD speeds. (And in fact, the three LD wins that were faster in the NW than the wins on the 50 the same day were posted by Sue Nance, on experienced 50-mile and 100-mile horses...)

This is not just true for last year but as you well know for most rides all years.

Of course, one can't compare rides where the LD times are not posted, but in the W region, for the rides where times WERE posted, the same pattern emerged.

I'm sure it would.

With few exceptions, our LD riders are traveling more slowly than our 50 milers, no matter how ride times are posted or awards are divvied out.

Yep - absolutely correct.

Heidi

An interesting story. I got busted up last spring. I couldn't make 15 miles in May. So we get to S2S and I do a few back to back LD's to make sure I'm okay. I was and ran a 50. On the last day I ended up sponsoring a couple of juiors on the Cool Down. I was not necessary planning to ride but decided to take the Jr's on the LD when their sponsor's horse came up with a minor problem.

Well I won BC that day. O my gosh - an LD BC - horrors of all horrors. I'm sure it was the weight - had noting to do with a veterinan 50 mile horse doing an LD. Later I shared the story with a SE AERC direction that has been in the office forever who will remain annomonyous. She told me I should be ashame of myself taking a veterian 50 mile horse and taking the prizes away from the LD riders.

Guilty as charged.

Truman