[RC] fencing - Angie - oddfarm

Wow. I've barely ever had any horse get loose anywhere. Maybe there's a
reason? There's more to keeping  your horse confined than the method of
confinement. You ought to know how to create a situation where your horse
will *feel* secure.

A reason? Yeah, they are horses! Geeze, I wish I had horses as perfect as some of ya'll do! I know I ruined one horse, (spoiled) and I am paying dearly for that. But for the most part, the rest of my herd is pretty darn good. ('cause I didn't raise 'em) Just not as perfect as others, I guess.

Just so you know Angie, the chain link and wood fence jumpers were at HOME! They must feel pretty darn secure there because they never want to LEAVE! One jumped the chain link to come riding with us, the other jumped the wood fence because, (well, I'm guessing cause I didn't see the jump, just where he landed) they were all playing and he was cornered with no place to go. The round pen incident was at our home trail where we have been going for years. I have nine horses and the oldest is now 21. We have done a LOT of camping in the past 12 years both at rides and just camping with friends. I have seen the very same accidents happen while just camping with 2 or 3 other trailers.

When we owned a boarding facility, I watched horses go over and through the fence to fight, get with buddies, or just because they hadn't been out for 48 hours. These were horses that lived side by side, at the same place for years and mostly over 10 years old. You would think they would know better. I mean a REAL fence, not a wire. Why? Why would they do that? I don't know.

Horses are gonna do what horses are gonna do.

I have tied to the trailer, with no problems. But it is not for every one of my horses. I have used the electric fence with no problems way more times than horses have escaped as have a lot of campers, I'm sure. I have had horses on my property since 1994 with only one escapee off the property.

Don't be critical of those who have had horses escape, whether or not it was their fault, just because it has never happened to you. If you have never had a loose horse, you can't possibly imagine the guilt.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm